Episode 16 – July 1, 2010
Feature of the Week
- School for the Deaf
- Mountain2Mountain is a nonprofit working in Afghanistan
- Helping to build and start a school for the deaf children
- This population is often not respected and not given opportunities
- School will teach them to communicate with others and other life skills
- ISTE10 – The big themes this year were digital citizenship, networked literacy, and web 3.0. The biggest roadblocks in the way of teaching this is the Locked Net Monster… Behind this = fear of cyberbullying and student safety. I will speak on this more during teach this.
- My favorite quotes from the conference (idk how they all came from Angela Maiers… I was a little starsruck 🙂
- You should be the mirror of the learner you want your students to be.
- You get out of the web what you put into the web.
- We need a contribution mentality not a completion mentality.
- Kids are no longer on the web but OF the web.
- Teach kids for their futures not our past.
- Teach kids to be not to do.
- This was my favorite session – entitled 21 Things.
- Kids need to be taught to be infosumers, synthesizers, question askers, translators, contributors.
Watch and Learn
- Campaign to give all children and adults education opportunities
- Using power of the World Cup and celebrities to help spread message
- No donations, just requests to join the campaign and raise awareness
- We cannot stand by and do nothing; pretend the social media world doesn’t exist.
- Teach digital citizenship like we teach the rules of the road.
- Your kids need to be involved in the production of Internet safety media. (example: http://supersocialsafety.blogspot.com)
- We cannot teach this unless we are there, modeling.
- No one is anonymous.
- Incredible idea – we are not on the web we are of the web…. we need to have positive representations attached to our names online.
- Vocabulary Sites
- A Maths Dictionary for Kids
So, What Do You Know
e-Learning Today TV – View in iTunes