Episode 11 – May 28, 2010
(Episode Length: 17 minutes, 0 seconds)
- Welcome to e-Learning Today TV
- Previous episode – Grades Keep Students From Taking Risks
School of the Week
- Rocky Mountain Elementary School
- ILS (Integrated Listening System) for special needs students
- combines music and physical activities
- helps brain functioning and focus of student attention
- Edcamp Philly Presentation and Recap
- Gathering an organizing team to plan edcamp SoFlo. If you are interested, sign up to volunteer or participate here.
- My favorite informational edcamp presentation was hosted by Dr. Joyce Valenza (@joycevalenza) and David Jakes (@djakes) about the future of student research.
- Check out her library research wiki and be sure to visit her Google search options glogster to get a taste of all the amazing search options Google offers kids for completing more authentic research.
- I also learned about the Access My Library gale app.
Fit to Learn
- Arete School of Sport Culture and Wellness
- Joel Kirsch is a former sports psychologist for the San Francisco Giants and president of the American Sports Institute
- creating the Arete School of Sport Culture and Wellness
- doing push ups along California coast to raise awareness
- health and fitness tied into success in the classroom
- “We cannot become what we need to be by remaining what we are.” – Max De Pree
- 5 Steps to Increasing Teacher Technology Integration | #Edchat Recap
- 1. Lead by Example
- 2. Change the Face of your Professional Development
- 3. Encourage Your Teachers to Build a Professional Learning Network
- 4. Put the Curriculum and Safety First – @corriekelly: Tech should enhance our teaching of curriculum; we shouldn’t use it without a purpose.
- 5. Create a digital toolbox for teachers and students
Watch and Learn
- Technology in the Classroom
- Dr. Bena Kallic
- Technology is so popular in today’s society
- Teachers must find a balance in the classroom
- Podcasting in Education
- Last week in Part 1 of Podcasts in Education Made Easy we discussed how podcasts are revolutionary tools for educators, but getting started can be intimidating.
- HOW Audio and Video Podcasting for Education Made Easy
- Google Wave
Now available for public use
Educational and classroom uses
Communication and collaboration tool
- 3 storytelling sites for students
- Five Card Flickr
Blogger of the Week
- Chesnut Hill Academy /Mrs. Sivick’s Fourth Graders now International Bloggers
- Mrs. Sivick (K-5 Technology Coordinator ) + 4th Graders at Chesnut Hill Academy (Philly) + Kidblog.org + Twitter = Internationally Known Grade 4 Culture Studies Blog
- Their success represents the incredible power of twitter as a professional learning network and the potential for the blogosphere to flatten your classroom.
- Research, blog, post questions. The goal was to communicate in real time with people from around the world, to learn about cultures through discussions with people that live or travel to the countries being studied.
- Surprising results: 1000+ visitors, More than 25 countries, International blogger website, Teachers around the world are interviewing them to learn how to implement this in their own classrooms., Skype to skype with classrooms in South Africa and Midwest, and more.
- The boys continue to receive cool links, photos, audio, videos, and extended learning experiences from visitors all over the world.
So, What Do You Know
- If you plug your nose you can’t hum.
- Put two straws in your mouth: one inside a drink and one outside it. You won’t be able to drink through either straw. Try it!